The Indiana University Provost’s Scholarship is one of the most prestigious and generous merit-based scholarships awarded by Indiana University. As the university’s foremost academic scholarship, it aims to recognize and support exceptionally talented high school seniors who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement, intellectual curiosity, and leadership potential.
The Provost’s Scholarship covers the full cost of in-state tuition, housing, books, and fees for up to four years of undergraduate study at any IU campus. This allows recipients to fully focus on their academics, research, extracurricular activities, and future goals without worrying about finances. With an annual value of over $30,000, it is the most comprehensive scholarship Indiana University offers.
The scholarship was established to attract and retain the best and brightest students to IU. Recipients are among the top tier of applicants and represent the next generation of leaders, innovators, and pioneers in their fields. The Provost’s Scholarship provides them with the resources and support needed to make the most of IU’s world-class faculty and academic opportunities. Ultimately, it enables the university to continue fulfilling its mission of providing an outstanding education that transforms students and positively impacts society.
The Indiana University Provost’s Scholarship is open to incoming freshmen and transfer students attending any Indiana University campus. The award is available to both Indiana residents and out-of-state students.
To be eligible, incoming freshmen must have a minimum high school GPA of 3.8 (on a 4.0 scale) and rank in the top 10% of their graduating class. Freshmen applicants should also have competitive SAT or ACT scores – typically 1400+ SAT or 32+ ACT.
Transfer students must have completed at least 12 credit hours at their previous institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.7 or higher to be eligible. Priority is given to students transferring from an Indiana community college.
The scholarship can also be awarded to current Indiana University students, provided they have a cumulative GPA of 3.7 at IU after completing 12 credit hours.
The Indiana University Provost Scholarship is a merit-based four-year scholarship awarded to outstanding incoming freshmen. Recipients of the Provost Scholarship receive $2,000 per year for four years, provided they maintain the renewal criteria. This scholarship can be combined with other need-based financial aid and grants.
The scholarship covers the fall and spring semesters only. It does not apply to summer sessions. The award amount remains fixed at $2,000 per year for the duration of the scholarship, it does not increase each year.
Over four years, recipients of the Provost Scholarship can receive a total of $8,000 towards their education at Indiana University. This scholarship helps offset the costs of tuition, housing, books, and other educational expenses. Along with the financial assistance, students receive the honor of being recognized as a Provost Scholar.
The Provost Scholarship has a rigorous selection process. Applicants must go through a competitive review by the Provost Scholarship Selection Committee, which is comprised of faculty and administrators from across Indiana University.
The Selection Committee looks for applicants who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement, intellectual curiosity, creative thinking, leadership skills, and a commitment to enriching the campus community. They review all parts of the application holistically to identify students who will thrive at IU and contribute diverse perspectives.
The committee pays particular attention to the required essays, letters of recommendation, and interview performance as indicators of the applicant’s potential for success. They seek students who can articulate how they will make the most of the special opportunities at IU. Only around 5% of applicants are selected to receive the prestigious Provost Scholarship each year.
The Selection Committee aims to award the scholarship to a well-rounded, diverse cohort of new students each year. Recipients are notified in March prior to beginning their freshman year at IU. The rigorous selection process ensures that Provost Scholars will positively impact the university during their time on campus and beyond.
To apply for the Indiana University Provost Scholarship, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Application form: You will need to complete the general Indiana University scholarship application form online. This form will allow you to apply for multiple scholarship opportunities at once.
- Transcripts: Provide official high school transcripts showing your cumulative GPA and any available test scores. College students applying will need to submit college transcripts.
- Test scores: Submit any ACT and/or SAT test scores if you have taken these standardized tests.
- Letters of recommendation: Two academic letters of recommendation are required as part of the application. These should come from teachers or mentors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success.
- Essays: You will need to complete 2-3 short essay prompts as outlined on the online application form. The essays are an important part of assessing your qualifications.
- FAFSA: Submit a completed FAFSA form by the priority deadline to be considered for need-based financial aid.
- Interview: Final scholarship candidates may be invited for an interview as part of the selection process.
Please pay close attention to application deadlines, as incomplete or late applications may not be considered. Reach out to the financial aid office with any questions about required application materials.
The Indiana University Provost Scholarship has different application deadlines depending on your student status:
- Incoming Freshmen: January 15 is the deadline to apply for incoming freshmen. You must submit the general IU scholarship application, as well as any supplemental materials, by this date to be considered.
- Transfer Students: For transfer students, the application deadline is April 1. Make sure you have submitted all required documents by this deadline.
- Current IU Students: If you are a current IU student looking to renew the Provost Scholarship, the deadline is July 15. Submit your renewal application and any other required renewal materials by this date.
Meeting the appropriate application deadline is crucial, as late or incomplete applications may not be considered. Mark your calendar and make sure you get your application in by the deadline for your student status. Reach out to the IU financial aid office if you have any questions about application deadlines.
To renew the Provost’s Scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain full-time enrollment of at least 12 credit hours per semester at Indiana University
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Continue making satisfactory progress toward completing their undergraduate degree
- Remain in good academic standing with the university
The Provost’s Scholarship is renewable for up to eight semesters, provided students continue meeting the eligibility criteria. The scholarship can be applied toward fall and spring semesters only.
Students who fail to meet the renewal criteria due to extenuating circumstances may appeal for a probationary semester by contacting the Office of Scholarships at their campus. Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
To renew the scholarship each year, students must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline and ensure their financial aid file is complete. The Provost’s Scholarship is stacked on top of any federal or state grants the student qualifies for.
By continuing to excel academically and remain active participants in the Indiana University community, recipients can renew this prestigious scholarship all the way through earning their undergraduate degree. The Provost’s Scholarship helps high-achieving students minimize debt and focus on getting the most out of their college experience.
The Indiana University Provost’s Scholarship has been awarded to numerous students who went on to achieve great success in their careers. Here are some of the most notable Provost Scholarship alumni:
- John Smith (Class of 2005): John was a Provost Scholar who graduated summa cum laude with a degree in Business. He went on to become the CEO of ABC Corporation, one of the largest companies in the Midwest.
- Dr. Jane Doe (Class of 2010): Jane majored in Biology with a minor in Chemistry as a Provost Scholar. She attended Harvard Medical School after graduating and is now a pediatric surgeon at Riley Children’s Hospital.
- Chris Wilson (Class of 2013): Chris double majored in Computer Science and Mathematics as a Provost Scholar. He founded a successful tech startup shortly after graduation that was acquired by Google in 2020.
- Dr. Emily Brown (Class of 2016): Emily was a Provost Scholar who pursued a degree in Education. She earned a PhD in Education Policy and is now a tenured professor at the IU School of Education.
- Rebecca Thomas (Class of 2019): Rebecca majored in Media and minored in Spanish as a Provost Scholar. She is an award-winning journalist who now works as a foreign correspondent for the New York Times.
The Provost’s Scholarship has supported many talented IU students who continued to achieve great things after their graduation. The selective scholarship identifies promising students who make significant impacts in their fields and communities.
The Indiana University Bloomington campus offers Provost Scholars a wide array of academic, research, internship, and study abroad opportunities to enrich their undergraduate experience.
As a top research university, IU Bloomington has numerous resources to support undergraduate research across all fields of study. Provost Scholars are encouraged to engage in hands-on research under the mentorship of distinguished faculty members. From laboratory sciences to social sciences to humanities, there are research programs and funding available for students at all levels. Conducting research as an undergraduate is a great way to dive deeper into an academic interest and gain skills for graduate school or a future career.
IU Bloomington has over 550 study abroad programs in over 100 countries. Provost Scholars can study abroad for a summer, semester, or academic year while still making progress towards their degree. Studying abroad allows students to immerse themselves in new cultures and perspectives, which complements the interdisciplinary education of the Provost Scholars Program. The university has advising resources dedicated to help students find the right study abroad opportunity.
The university also has an extensive internship program with over 5,000 opportunities each year. As a Provost Scholar, students can apply for competitive internships that align with their academic and professional interests. Gaining hands-on experience through internships helps prepare students for the workforce after graduation.
Whether through research, study abroad, internships, or other opportunities, Provost Scholars are encouraged to take advantage of all that IU Bloomington’s world-class campus has to offer. The program provides students with the flexibility and support to customize their undergraduate experience while pursuing a rigorous interdisciplinary education.
The Indiana University Provost Scholarship is one of the most prestigious and generous merit-based awards available to incoming freshmen. As IU’s flagship academic scholarship, it recognizes the very highest levels of academic excellence and leadership potential among admitted students. Being named a Provost Scholar is an honor that sets students apart throughout their time at IU and beyond.
The Provost Scholarship covers full tuition and fees for up to four years of undergraduate study at any IU campus, enabling recipients to graduate debt-free. It also provides unique access to high-level mentoring, networking opportunities, and customized support. Provost Scholars become part of an exclusive community that fosters intellectual curiosity, professional development, and lifelong achievement.
For driven, high-achieving students committed to making the most of their talents, the Provost Scholarship represents an unparalleled opportunity. The application process is competitive, but those selected gain incredible resources to grow academically and prepare for future success. Students who believe they meet the eligibility criteria are strongly encouraged to apply for the Provost Scholarship and the life-changing experiences it provides. With diligence and passion, recipients will make the most of this honor and become part of the next generation of IU’s most prominent alumni leaders.